Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Potentially Penultimate Post

Good Evening My Dears,

I am very sorry for the long silence.  There is no defense, I'm afraid.  The Scottish Experiment seems to be coming to a close and there doesn't seem to be any point in writing when I am in the process of distributing the remains of my Scottish existence to various people.  I have coming back to the US on Christmas day. I will arrive about 8:30 in the evening, probably pretty tired.

The weather in Scotland has been all that I imagined lately.  We have had a lot of rain, a bit of snow and two supposed hurricanes.  One of which is howlin' outside my window as I write.  I am not-so-secretly hoping that I will be stranded in Scotland come Christmas, at least for a week.  Also, I hope that the person I stay with in town will be willing to put me up for a bit longer.  Otherwise I may have to depend on the kindness of strangers.

When last I wrote, I had gone to Harrogate and Jasper had visited.  Since then, I have continued helping at Pulp Fiction (read sitting on my butt, browsing the internet.)  I have also started a very quiet revolution.  I managed to take over leadership of the writer's group and move it from a cafe where it was very difficult to hear people read, to the bookshop where it is not.  Incredibly, the group has voted to stay at the bookshop once I leave, and the person who was my biggest nay sayer turned into my biggest supporter.   Ah, THE POWER!!!

As I am still on the dole, I need to go tomorrow and get myself off of it.  No more money for me.  I have also started saying goodbye to all the friends that I have made here.  I am still so conflicted, because I do have a return for the 10th of February.  Also, a friend has made it very clear that she is rather desperate for me to return as she claims that she only makes a friend once every 100 years or so.  I do not believe it as she is a very engaging young lady and a writer of extraordinary talent, in spite of difficulties that would cause me to cower in my bed.  And then there's been the experience of working at Pulp Fiction.  It is a place that made the last two months in Scotland more positive than they otherwise would have been.  The proprietor and staff are amazing people, and mean more to me than I could ever adequately express.

Right Folks that's all she wrote.

Next Up: Homeward Bound

Cheerio for Now,

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment