Sunday, October 16, 2011

Family Fun and a Job Jinx

Good Evening My Dears,

When last I wrote I had started the job at Standard Life and my Dad was coming to town.  The best part of his trip was that Alex surprised me with a visit.  She literally jumped out of the closet at the hotel.  They stayed with me for 6 days.  We spent Saturday wandering Edinburgh and having lunch with some very cool friends of Alex's, Colin and Caroline Hampden-White.  They are two super down to earth people with a very posh last name.  On Sunday we explored Glasgow, and wandered through the Charles Rennie Mackintosh exhibit at the Art Museum at Kelingrove. (And yes, that Lord Kelvin).  Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (Oct. 3-5th) we wandered through Edinburgh in the evenings after I got out of work.  It was very nice to have my dad agree that I live just a smidge too far out of town and that I should move into town.

Unfortunately, work is not going all that well and they have decided to terminate my contract.  I feel that this termination is unfair.  In the first place they brought up the fact that while my family was here I was leaving at 3:30 and that my cell phone was on the desk.  In my defense, I told them that I would be having the phone out so that my family could get in touch.  As well I am only supposed to work a 35 hour week so in order to leave at 3:30, I get to work at 8:00 am.  On Tuesday, they asked me to stay overtime to complete a task and I did.  On Friday, after my family left I asked how to fill out the timesheet and was told that we do not get overtime so I filled out the timesheet without the 2 hours I worked overtime.  On Monday last week, I asked if I could leave 2 hours early on a day that was light in terms of work, so as not to inconvenience the team, so that I could register for healthcare and was told that was fine.  I came into work on Tuesday this week, and my boss asked me to have a hat to talk about how I was getting on.  That is when she told me that they were terminating my contract and that they were giving me a week's notice.  They also said they felt I wasn't picking things up fast enough and that I was asking the same questions over and over again.  I wasn't, however.  You see, I did not have access to the systems that I needed to do my job and so I needed to ask for help.  In addition, I am being made a scapegoat for the fact that on the 3rd of october 2 feeds did not come into the team mailbox and while I reported it, I reported it to the wrong person.  Later, I found out that the problem is still going on.  So in short, I feel like I am being made an example of.  I can guarantee that the person who is responsible for sending the emails out has not been let go.

Anyhoo, I am rather demoralized at the moment and I am not sure that I want to continue struggling here in the UK.  That is a shame, as I really do like Scotland and am not really looking forward to coming back to the US.  I am not sure what is next, though I have been talking to agencies and applying for jobs.  I am planning on leaving Edinburgh to celebrate Guy Fawkes day in Harrogate but as that is an expensive proposition, I am postponing buying the ticket.  Also, Jasper is coming in mid November so I have to stay till then.

Right, folks, that is all she wrote.

Next Up: Job Searching and Heavenly Harogate again.

Cheerio for Now,

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry my sis!! Everything will work out! It wasn't meant to be so you're better off.

    ReplyDelete